Clover-College Park in Alexandria, VA

Located just west of Old Town Alexandria is a charming little neighborhood with a small town feel. Meet Clover-College Park with its quiet, tree-lined streets and pleasantly upscale homes for sale on large lots. The only problem with this attractive mid-century community is the lack of active real estate listings. Yup, it really is that popular.

The general bounds of the neighborhood are Janney’s Lane to the north, West Taylor Run Parkway to the east, Dartmouth Road to the south and Princeton Boulevard to the west. Also, the popular Douglas MacArthur Elementary School is on the other side of Janney’s.

Like the rest of Alexandria, the land that makes up the community has a long history. In this case, it was once owned by a Confederate army officer. But it wasn’t residentially platted until 1946 when a developer by the name of Rozier Beech purchased the land and began building homes. The community was initially known as Clover and later expanded to include next-door neighbor College Park.

Beech enjoyed different types of architecture and made sure that there was some variety from one house to the next. The Colonial Revivals, Cape Cods, Ranches, split-levels and farmhouse-style homes were often given additional details and characteristics beyond their basic styles, allowing for a sense of individuality. The developer was also an amateur botanist and was fond of including “orchid rooms” in many of the homes. As the 1950s progressed into the 1960s and beyond, more builders entered the fray with newer and larger homes. And while the majority of properties for sale are detached single-family houses, there are also some condos and townhouses in the area as well.

Clover-College Park has also had its brush with celebrity fame in the form of a U.S. President. A two-story Colonial home with a brick and clapboard façade was the residence of Gerald Ford and his wife Betty for 19 years. Ford served in congress and as Vice-President during that time. When Richard Nixon resigned the presidency in 1974, Ford assumed the office. Due to the suddenness of the situation, the home on Crown View Drive served as a temporary White House for 10 days. After that, Gerald and Betty moved into their new residence at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

This is a community with lots of local pride and organized activities. Many of those revolve around Douglas MacArthur Elementary with its school-based events. The neighborhood is also served by George Washington Middle and T.C. Williams High. Residents enjoy parades and holiday events, as well as time spent at Angel Park with its children’s playground and athletic fields. The President Ford Park also offers a relaxing greenspace.

And while homes for sale can be maddeningly elusive, prices will typically run from the mid-six figures up into the millions. Residents have plenty of options when it comes to the daily commute. I-395 lies to the north and the Beltway is also close, to the south. Plus, the King Street Metro Station is also conveniently nearby. Call District Partners at Compass to learn more, at (202) 798-3600.